Tuesday, August 26, 2008

And so it begins!

Was it just me, or did summer go by too fast?

Yesterday I began my fall semester at the wonderful(haha) FIU. I'm taking 5 classes this semester, so I definetly have a lot of work to do. My classes so far consist of:

Sociology
Intro to Journalism
Writing Strategies for Reaching a Mass Audience
Creative Writing
Interpersonal Communication (I'm taking this one online)

I liked all of my professors; they all seem pretty friendly and helpful. I'm pretty confident I can get decent grades, considering I hunker down and focus on what I need to do. I calculated my GPA, and I would need to get straight A's this semester to get a 3.0! Eep!

I'm so sick of school already. I just want to graduate and get it over with! I already told everyone (and I guess I'm telling you, dear reader) that if you're looking to hang out this semester, the answer will (more than likely) be no. I have way too many papers to write, books to read, etc. Sorry to disappoint.

Anyway, I came to the realization today that people are stupid. I know, what an obvious statement, especially since I happen to work in the hub of stupid, FIU. But today I realized how truly stupid people can be. Before you go on to call me cold and heartless, let me explain.

My office (the University Testing Center) is located on the first floor of the library (GL 120). Across from the main doors of the library, there's an auditiorium that's usually used for large classes (GL100). Yesterday, everyone and their mother came by OUR office to ask where GL 100 was. It got so ridiculous that my coworker made a (very LARGE) sign to post on the door, which reads (in BIG, bold, red letters):

"IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GL 100, GL100A, GL100B,
GO OUT THE FRONT FOORS OF THE LIBRARY AND WALK
STRAIGHT THROUGH THE GLASS DOORS ACROSS THE BREEZEWAY."
::GIANT RED ARROW POINTING PEOPLE IN THE DIRECTION OF WHICH TO GO::

There are not one, but two signs, posted on our door and on the window directly next to the door.

And still, people walked in and asked where GL 100 is.

Go figure. :)

Ah, life as an FIU employee. Never a dull moment.

No comments: